Join in as we explore the beautiful town of Gansbaai which is situated in the center of a number of small bays with miles of unspoiled beaches and nature reserves, a variety of floral and fynbos vegetation, ancient Milkwood forests, rocky inlets, caves and spectacular views across Walker Bay.
It is also home to Dyer Island, a protected bird sanctuary and houses a large colony of African Penguins. In the same vicinity, you will find an abundance of seals, being the hot spot for great whites and making Gansbaai the Great White Shark capital of South Africa and many other marine species like bronze whaler sharks, stingrays, and seals.
This is a personal, face-to-face encounter with this awesome animal, guaranteed to get the adrenaline going!
Open Ended (approx 8 hours/full day)
Start & End point
Gansbaai (transport available at additional cost)
R2 400.00 per person Budget (excl transport)
R2 900.00 per person Premier (incl transport)
Everyday (Weather Dependant)
Approximately 12km offshore from Gansbaai (2hrs drive from Cape Town) we find two islands situated next to each other. Due to a number of geographical reasons ‐ one being the shallow and narrow channel that runs between these two islands ‐ Dyer Island has become known as one of only
two unique areas in the world, where the chances to view the great white shark, rises exceptionally high. A colony of approximately 40000 Cape Fur Seals inhabits the smaller Island (Geyser Rock). Other wildlife species such as Cape Gannets, Cape Cormorants, African Penguins, whales and dolphins are also likely to be sighted.
Once anchored in the channel, we make use of a securely designed 5‐man steel cage, which floats on the surface, with divers no more than 1m below the surface. A scuba certification is not a necessity in order to dive in the cage, as we make use of snorkeling equipment 100% of the time, where the dive takes place just beneath the water surface. This makes it possible for even the inexperienced diver to enjoy a cage dive.
White sharks are indeed surface feeders, providing brilliant surface viewing from the safety of the shark‐viewing deck of the boat. The shark handlers are trained to bring the sharks close‐up against the side of the boat, with the head and the jaws clearly visible.
A White Shark Cage Diving Operators Permit (issued by government) is in possession, enabling us to work within the Dyer Island nature reserve area (copy of permit available upon request). Only long standing operators who are in compliance with certain safety regulations and code of conduct, are entitled to this permit. All the facilities are closely inspected by authorities on an annual basis, ensuring maximum safety for all guests.
We have just acquired one of the largest, most modern and luxurious boats available in the shark diving industry. Megalodon II is a newly built stable catamaran, measuring 11 x 3.8 meters and therefore offering the ultimate stability at sea. Although she is licensed to carry a maximum of 30
passengers, we do not take more than 25 clients per tour. This not only ensures maximum comfort, but also ensures maximum cage diving time for all divers. The boat offers state‐of‐the‐art facilities which includes; sophisticated and securely structured 6‐man steel cage, spacious cabin, large upper shark‐viewing deck, sunbathing area, private lockable toilet, fresh water showers, private restroom with bed, fresh drinking water, wet deck and separate dry‐deck for maximum comfort. She is fully licensed to SA safety standards and is equipped with 2 radio's, radar equipment, navigation
equipment, depth finder, echo sounder, medical first aid kit (including oxygen and fluid replacement), current safety equipment, life vests for all passengers and a 50‐man life raft. The boat, cage and life raft are inspected on an annual basis, ensuring maximum safety for all passengers.
Luxurious return transfers from Cape Town in air-conditioned buses. There is ample General Public Liability cover in place as well as Passenger Liability on both the busses. Valid Road Carrier Permits are held on both the busses, and the drivers are not only Public Drivers Permit holders, but also have adequate Personal Accident insurance in place.
Each crew member is highly qualified in his/her specific field and together have more than 12 years experience with the white sharks. Crew qualifications consist of; A1 (1) commercially licensed skippers, level 3 Medics; Satour Registered specialised tour guides; Dive Masters and qualified shark handlers. The skippers are licensed with ICASA (Independent Commission Authority of SA as well as SAMSA (SA Maritime and Safety Authority. A step‐by‐step emergency flow chart is available inside the cabin of the vessel.
Capture this once‐in‐a‐lifetime personal experience on film and take it home to show to your friends and family. The services of a professional underwater videographer is offered who is highly experienced in this field. Your personal experience will be captured on a high quality video / DVD (above and underwater) and a copy will be made available to you after the tour at a minimal cost. At the coffee shop, we offer various gifts for sale, which includes; underwater disposable camera’s, T‐Shirts, warm jackets, caps, beanies, etc. Please ask your tour guide on the day of the tour.
Duration: Open Ended.
When: 7 Days a week (except Christmas day). Weather permitting.
Where: Meeting point is at Kleinbaai Harbour, Van Dyks Bay, 7220. Look out for our boat (Megalodon II – Blue and White boat), as this is where our Tour Guide will await you at the given meeting time.
Weather: All trips are weather dependent.
What to Wear: Bring warm clothes, swimwear, comfortable non slip shoes, cap or hat.
Things to Bring: Towel, warm weather proof clothing, sunscreen and hat, camera and binoculars and sea-sick tablets.
Guests or Spectators: Guests are welcome to venture into the quaint town of Gansbaai while waiting for their friends / family to come back from sea.
Minimum Age: 10 years.
Only children aged 5 and older will be allowed on the boat (under parent supervision).
Only children aged 10 and older will be allowed in the cage (under parent supervision).
All children aged 5 and older pays the same price, as it takes up a seat on the boat.
Minimum Height: 0.0 m
Maximum Height: 0.0 m
Fitness Level: No Fitness Requirement
Qualifications: Not Applicable
Minimum Weight: 0 kg
Maximum Weight: 0 kg
Certification: None Required
Experience Level: No Experience Requirement
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Luxurious return transfers from Cape Town - Premier tour only
- Continental breakfast, hot tea and coffee
- Snacks on the boat
- Light lunch upon return to shor
- 5mm wetsuits, masks, hoodies and booties available for divers
- Great surface viewing for non-divers (shark activity allowing)
- Dry bags
- Changing cubicles
- Lockers to keep your belongings safe
- Hot shower after the tour
- Shark and whale expert on each tour
- Educational information and safety briefing
- Optional USB of your personal experience, for sale after the tour
- Road transfers - if booked on a Budget tour.
- Seasick tablets
- Optional USB of your personal experience, for sale after the tour
Please note that you will be contacted 24 hours before the trip to confirm final pick-up / meeting time.
No diving qualifications or experience is needed for this dive. It is a surface dive, not a deep sea dive.
Whether diving or viewing the price remains the same. We charge per head on the boat.
- Door‐to‐door collection from the Cape Town metropolitan area (Premier tour only).
- Arrival at the Gansbaai office, where a light breakfast, coffee/tea will be available while the safety briefing and other formalities are concluded.
- The boat launches from Kleinbaai harbour 20 min later, we anchor in or nearby “Shark Alley”.
- Return to Kleinbaai harbour.
- A light hot lunch is enjoyed while viewing the video of the day. A copy of your own personal experience is Available on DVD after the tour.
Please note: Due to tides and collection schedules, we can only confirm exact collection (premier tour) & meeting times (budget tour) at 16h00 the day prior to your tour.
Best season to go
The tours run each and every day of the year, as Dyer Island is a good place to see the sharks all year round. The absolute best season is probably in the winter months, when sharks are particularly active in their feeding pattern. The following guide‐line is based on tours we have done over the past 13 years and months may overlap slightly.
PEAK SEASON: APRIL to OCTOBER (99% success rate)
HIGH SEASON: NOV. and DEC. (90 – 99% success rate)
INTERMEDIATE SEASON: JAN to MARCH: (80 – 90% success rate)
Water temperatures vary between 16 and 20 degrees celsius during the high season, and between 10 and 16 degrees celsius during the intermediate and low seasons.
- You will be required to wear your mask.
General/Standard cancellation policy
- Cancellation outside 14 days prior to tour date: 100% credit as Travel Credit voucher / 95% refund*
- Cancellation 14-7 days prior to tour date: 100% credit as Travel Credit voucher / 80% refund*
- Cancellation 3-6 days prior to tour date: 50% refund*
- Cancellation 2 days prior to tour date, late arrivals or “no show”: No refund / Full fee charged
* The general / standard cancellation policy applies to all products excluding specific Packages, Kruger Tours and Private/Custom made tours.
* All transaction / transfer fees and/or forex conversion costs charged by the banks during the refund process will be billed to you (client).
* Refunds and Travel Credit voucher values are calculated in our local ZAR (South African Rand) currency. Transaction values in your own currency could be affected due to bank fees and currency exchange fluctuations. Refunds are usually made back to the original source of payment method.
* This option may be selected up till 7 days prior to your start / departure date. The voucher should be used within a 24 month period from the issue date unless stated otherwise. Where a Travel Credit voucher option is selected, payment in FULL must be made to Cape Xtreme if the booking was made through a Travel Agent. Please be advised that a Travel Credit voucher is selected instead of a cancellation charge and will result in no refunds being issued. After the Travel Credit voucher has been selected no further alterations can be made / no refunds will be issued should you make any changes again.
* Please be sure to read through our full terms & conditions here: www.capextreme.com/terms
EXTRA SPECIAL TERMS & CONDITIONS specific to Shark Cage Dive
- Standard cancellation policies apply as per the Terms & Conditions sent to you. You may also find this at www.capextreme.com/terms
- Thorough weather checks are done prior to any trip. Should inclement weather prevent us from proceeding with the trip on any particular day, the clients would be informed and an alternative date would be negotiated or a refund would be given.
- Transport costs are completely separate to the shark diving tour. Therefore, should clients and Shark Diving team find themselves in Gansbaai already (based upon a good weather prediction) and sudden strong winds pick up, preventing the boat from being put to sea and to ensure the safety of our passengers, transport costs (irrespective of road or air) would be payable in full.
- Should strong winds pick up whilst out at sea and return to shore is required for the safety of passengers and crew, a refund will not be applicable.
- Due to variable weather conditions and shark activity, diving may not always be possible and is therefore not guaranteed. We are dealing with wild animals and sightings are not guaranteed. Refunds will therefore not be considered in the event of non‐sightings, however, a second shark dive will be offered / voucher to use for your next trip.
- We reserve the right to run more than one tour per day, each consisting of approximately 3 hours at sea.
- Time related itinerary and collection times are dependent on tides, weather conditions and the amount of tours we have scheduled. Exact collection times are therefore only available after 16h00 the day prior to the tour, and may vary between 04h30 and 11h30.
- Any photographs and / or video footage taken on this tour may under no circumstances be sold or given to any broadcasting / media agencies for their use, without clear and written consent from the owners, failing which may result in legal action.
- The videography service we offer is that of a totally independent company and is not in any way connected or related to the company. We are therefore not liable for any loss, damage, late or non‐receipt of DVD’s, ordered or purchased from this company.